RE: New and hopefully useful web site

OK, Guys.
What we have here is a guy that has offered his labors and property to provide a service and resource for this industry.  He made his only mistake in sharing a little background of himself.  Let's give him his due appreciation, or shut up.  If you don't want to use it, don't.
But this tangential ranting about your personal views, while possibly belonging on this forum, don't belong with this thread.  If you want to P & M, do so in a thread that the rest of us can easily filter.

JDCoombs.

>>> On 12/13/2007 at 4:33 PM, "Richard L. Hess" <RLHess(--nospam--at)HessEng.com> wrote:
Has anyone thought of going out to some construction sites to see how
contractors are trying to straighten out some of those computer created
"solutions" so the building will stand up?
I suggest spending more time in the real (as opposed to virtual) world to
define how the structure should be designed instead of collecting someone
else's calculations, spreadsheets, etc. that may or not apply.
But then why should I worry.  My business is with the ever increasing stock
of buildings needing repair or retrofit that are presented to me because of
the lack of proper detailing.  I don't know of anything that fell down
because the calculations were ten, twenty or fifty percent off.  But I know
of a lot of serious problems due to a missing link in the load path because
the details were not properly developed on the drawing or where the engineer
did not take redundancy or constuctability into account because he/she did
not understand what goes on out at the construction site.
Richard Hess