From: Jake Watson [mailto:jake.watson1(--nospam--at)gmail.com]
Sent: Thursday, December 13, 2007 8:16 PM
To:
seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
Subject: Re: Tilt-Up Wall Submittal Review

How about no comment at all.  Did you ask for the submittal?  If they submitted a drawing showing OSHA fall protection systems, would you comment on it?  I don't see why you would make any comment (or even keep record that you received it).  Simply return it with no comments.  At most, say you received but have not reviewed it because it is means and methods.  If you acknowledge that you have "looked it over", you can potentially be held accountable for the content.  Maybe even the lifting procedures.

If you want to look at it, make sure you fully understand it the way you would any other shop drawing.  If you are not prepared to get that involved, simply return it without any comment and stay away.  It should be crystal clear you have no responsibility or over site for means and methods.

I have designed crane picks for contractors (although not tilt).  I generally work with the contractor and rarely get the EOR involved unless there is some glaring omission on the job.  If the contractor has specific questions, let him ask them.  Otherwise I suggest you just return the package and let him do his job.

Jake Watson, S.E.
Salt Lake City, UT

P.S. Then again, maybe I am just too cynical.  It could be the contractor is trying to be pro-active and keep you in the loop regarding his procedures.  Good luck!