RE: Tilt-Up Wall Submittal Review

I think that if you do not return a submittal in a timely fashion with a stamp or letter saying “Rejected” or “Returned without Review” then your action or inaction may be interpreted as “Approval” by the contractor. Even language stating that you have reviewed the submittal and have no objections is the same as “Approval” according to the engineering publications and case studies I have read.

Approving a submittal does not necessarily mean that you designed the system depicted; it does not mean that you are responsible for the system depicted; it does not mean that there are no errors in the submittal. Approval means that you have reviewed the submittal as it relates to your contractual responsibilities and your construction documents and that the submittal does not conflict with your design criteria. It is probably a good idea to clarify that your approval does not relieve the contractor of their responsibilities for means, methods, coordination, code compliance, job-site safety, etc. It is also a good idea to require that the contractor review and approve the submittals prior to forwarding them to you for your approval.

Christopher Banbury, PE

President

Ark Engineering, Inc.

PO Box 10129, Brooksville, FL 34603

22 North Broad ST, Brooksville, FL 34601

Phone: (352) 754-2424

Fax: (352) 754-2412

www.arkengineering.net