Re: Snow drift

We had a similar situation in Anchorage a few years back. We were trying to reduce the drifted snow on a lower roof by raising the height of the upper roof parapet, but the building department didn't buy it. It seems logical that if the upper roof parapet is high enough then it acts as a snow fence that traps the drifted snow on the upper level preventing that snow from drifting down and accumulating on the lower roof. The ASCE has a recent publication on the snow provisions, there might be something in there. I will try to check this out later.

Wesley Werner wrote:
I am doing a preliminary design for an open structure next to an existing building. The new structure will be higher than part of the existing building. I don't want to surcharge the building with snow drift from the new roof. If I put a parapet around the new roof that is higher than the calculated windward drift height, do I have to consider snow drift on the low roof? There won't be a windward drift from the length of the low roof because the new structure doesn't have any sides for the snow to pile up against. My only concern is with snow blowing off the high roof.
/

/Wesley C. Werner, P.E./
wwerner(--nospam--at)conewago.com
Phone (717) 632-7722