Re: jailbreak through CMU

How (almost) timely; I just finished a value engineering exercise on a jail. Those cells were precast concrete - we didn't suggest any changes there.

I also saw the ungrouted cell with interest. I once had an owner-building as me how she was supposed to get the rebar into a window jamb after she set the solid precast lintel. She was quite surprised to find out that she had to grout those cells - she expected that putting the rebar in would be enough!
Jordan

Christopher Banbury wrote:

I’ve always wondered about duration factors for prison “live loads” on reinforced CMU walls. Apparently it works out to two inmates with primitive tools for about 3 weeks.

Christopher Banbury, PE

President

Ark Engineering, Inc.

PO Box 10129, Brooksville, FL 34603

22 North Broad ST, Brooksville, FL 34601

Phone: (352) 754-2424

Fax: (352) 754-2412

www.arkengineering.net