Re: CBC 2007 Wind Load

I think this load combination is targeted primarily for Wind + Snow combinations. Remember the old 1/2Wind + Snow and Wind +1/2 Snow? This has been replaced by the simpler 0.75Wind + 0.75Snow (or 0.75 Lr). For the low-landers who do not have big snow storms, I have personally been involved with a number of buildings where the roof drains plugged (wind borne debris) and the roof filled with water while the wind was howling. I have also seen several projects where roofing materials were stacked on a roof (rafter component live load), and remained there throughout a windstorm, because the roofers were smart enough to stay off the roof during the storm.

Dmitri Wright, PE
Cascade Engineering, Inc.
2459 SE TV Hwy, PMB #202
Hillsboro, OR  97123-7919
dmitri(--nospam--at)cascade-structural.com
503-846-1131

Who/what is on the roof causing live load during a wind event I ask?