Re: Design of Pavement Section

Bill,

You will probably find that an asphalt section will be less expensive, unless
labor for excavation is very high.  There is quite a large difference in the
roadway section for different soils capacities in the subgrade material.  It
would be best to have a Geotechnical Engineer give you some recommendations
or at least some R-values or CBR numbers to design the section from.

Where I'm working, we often get R-values in the 7-50 range.  Seven is very low
but we've got some clayey or silty sands here (old farmground - good for farming
not so good for roads)  With the low R-value material  we have a highly travelled
5-lane road that has a section of 3 ft., 22" sub-base, 8" roadbase, and 6" asphalt.

For the standard highway district road section or local city road section, they use
12" roadbase and 3" asphalt.  For a driveway that will see very infrequent heavy
truck loading, you might be able to get by with 8" roadbase and 2.5-3" asphalt, again
depending on the sub-grade soil strength.  I've seen some soils that were good
enough to pave the 3" or 2.5" of asphalt right over the existing ground. (after
scraping off the topsoil, of course)

I hope that this helps.  It looks like you've got many other responses about
concrete so I won't touch on that.

Take Care,
Lloyd Pack