Re: Procedures

My office is pretty laid back. No dress code, almost everyone listens to music thru I-tunes on their computer and headphones. Cell phones are going off all the time, from my Curb Your Enthusiam ring tone to a wide array (haven't heard Eye of the Tiger yet - Da - Da Du Da) No one gives a damn and we all usually put our phones on silent or vibrate when in meetings and almost all of our guests do as well when in the conference room.

If it becomes a problem because of an annoying, loud, or too frequent, justs bring it up verbally on the side with the employee one on one, why write it into a manual or memo (did you put a cover sheet on the TPS reports?)

-g

On Dec 28, 2007 10:36 AM, Daryl Richardson <h.d.richardson(--nospam--at)shaw.ca> wrote:
Gary, Jim,

        Most of us are responsible adults.  If there are repeat offenders who don't know when they are over doing it they can usually be spoken to privately and asked to "keep it to a minimum".

        On the other hand, there are situations where the phone must take priority.  Back in the 1980s when I was taking MBA courses, there was one lady whose pager went off in every class (sometimes more than once) and she got up and left the class.  I thought it was quite rude of her until I came to know her. I was then made aware that she was a very nice lady; and that she was Director of Pharmacy at Children's Hospital, on call 24 hours a day.  When that pager went a sick child needed medicine; and she responded.  Her pager interrupting  the classes no longer seemed to be of any importance at all!

Regards,

H. Daryl Richardson
----- Original Message -----
From: Jim Getaz
Sent: Friday, December 28, 2007 6:28 AM
Subject: Re: Procedures

            Gary,

                        We have over three hundred employees, of whom about forty work in the office. We have a Personnel Manual. We have a large number of company and personal cell phones. There is a wide range here in cell phone use. It is the employee's discretion how to use them. Most of our Superintendents and Project Managers have their ringers turned on loud so they can hear them while on jobsites, which is very disruptive when in meetings. When our President is running the meeting, most are off or vibrate, though, and no one takes a call. Just ask your folks to remember where they are.

            Jim Getaz

--
-gm