RE: Procedures

Thanks for all the feedback.  It was very helpful.  I think we are going to
leave the policy as is and address it on case by case basis.

However, there is one additional question that I wished I had asked - the age
of the responder.

I grew up with a party line and only one phone on our farm.  Not with a phone
up or uh plugged into you ear.  Also, I used the slide rule, logarithms, and
manual drafting (of which I still do).  The only thing that I can some what
successfully do is plot a drawing with AutoCAD.  I have a cell phone that I
use when out of the office (it is a pain because my big fingers typically hit
two buttons at once) and no I do not do text messaging.  If clients can not
get me on the cell they leave a message and then call the line phone to the
office or at night call at home on the line phone.  It seems this generation
(my son and daughter who are 18 and 24) can not live without the cell and
text messaging.  Whole different generation.  Whole different set of
problems.

We decided we needed a policy manual to get things down in writing and make
sure everybody is on the same page.  If there is a discipline problem then we
have something in writing that we can go back to.  Each person is required to
read and sign a form letter saying they read it.  The policy covers vacation,
sick time, working hours, internet usage, dress code, sexual harassment,
smoking, drugs, telephone, moonlighting, etc. and this year we are adding
client confidentiality and security.  The previous owner was very loose -
people were coming to work when they felt it was convenient, dress was
whatever, etc.  From a legal position we felt we needed something in writing.
When there is a problem they can not say well the boss said I could do it, or
I did not know, or any other excuse.  Some of our clients have drug polices
and expect us to have similar polices.  We do work with DOE and need to
address security issues.  Also, when people interview we can provide a policy
manual that provides all the details.  We have not had any complaints or
people leave because of it.  I think most people want to know where the
boundaries are.

This is already to long.  Thank you again for your input and may you have a
successful 2008.

Gary Loomis, PE

My office is pretty laid back. No dress code, almost everyone listens to
music thru I-tunes on their computer and headphones. Cell phones are going
off all the time, from my Curb Your Enthusiam ring tone to a wide array
(haven't heard Eye of the Tiger yet - Da - Da Du Da) No one gives a damn and
we all usually put our phones on silent or vibrate when in meetings and
almost all of our guests do as well when in the conference room.

If it becomes a problem because of an annoying, loud, or too frequent, justs
bring it up verbally on the side with the employee one on one, why write it
into a manual or memo (did you put a cover sheet on the TPS reports?)

-g