Re: Occupancy Category History

Harold, can I just give you a desk next to me?  Thanks again!  If you keep this up I will need to buy you far more than a pitcher of beer.

Jake

On Jan 4, 2008 9:36 AM, Harold Sprague < spraguehope(--nospam--at)hotmail.com> wrote:
There have been occupancies for a long time for fire protection.  Structural loading picked it up a bit later.

It was not in ANSI A58.1-1972, but it appeared in ANSI A58.1-1982.  The I factor is generally not in the building codes (BOCA, UBC, SBC) in the 70's vintage.  BTW there were 5 members of the seismic committee.

UBC: I believe that UBC picked it up on the 1979 issue (I don't have that one).  I have the 1981 and it did not have a bar on the I table to indicate a revision.  It is not in the 1973 UBC.

BOCA:  Not in the '81, but is included in the '87 and indicates a revision bar.

SBC: It is contained in the '88 which is the oldest that I have.

Regards,
Harold Sprague

Date: Fri, 4 Jan 2008 08:38:09 -0700
From: jake.watson1(--nospam--at)gmail.com
To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
Subject: Occupancy Category History

I need a history lesson.  Does anyone remember approximately when the UBC introduced the concept of "Occupancy Category"?  When did we start getting different I values for different uses?

Jake Watson, S.E.
Salt Lake City, UT

Put your friends on the big screen with Windows Vista® + Windows Live™. Start now!