Re: Glass guardrail support

go to the julius blum website they have calculations and details, if you call them they can give you more assistance.  LA city used to have research reports for the glass panels and extruded bases, but I have not been able to find them recently

----- Original Message -----
From: "Joseph R. Grill"
To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
Subject: Glass guardrail support
Date: Fri, 4 Jan 2008 14:01:58 -0700

I am looking at the support system for a guard rail system.  The system is pre-manufactured and only the attachment to the structure needs to be designed.  It is a guard in a residence and I am told will be 36" high.  I also understand that per IBC 1607.1 that I only need to consider the 200# load requirement.  The glass panels are wide (from what I am told, they are the full width of the opening they serve with no intermediate vertical non-glass members.

I am wondering if there is some distribution of the 200# concentrated load that can be taken from the top of the guard to the support attachment?  with a 36" high guard can the 200# load be distributed over, say 3 ft? or maybe something other 2ft?, 6ft?  A distribution would make my attachment to the substructure much easier since it is a wood substructure.

Thanks,
Joe Grill

Bart Needham, SE
Principal, nbse associates, inc.