Sent: Monday, January 07, 2008 12:16 PM
Subject: Re: Glass guardrail support

Joe -
  Buried somewhere at home. I have glass rail calc's (prepared by Braun or Blum?). I believe the calc's were based upon a scenario similar to your situation.

  I believe that the "S" used in these calculations was based upon (2*h*t^2)/6 where h is the glass height and t equals the glass thickness.

  Since the member's effective width was assumed to be twice it's height, distributing the 200 lb load over a width equal to it's height along the base would not be unreasonable.

  I'll forward these calc's if I can locate.

Thanks,
Charles Canitz