From: Jake Watson [mailto:jake.watson1(--nospam--at)gmail.com]
Sent: Monday, January 07, 2008 8:45 PM
To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
Subject: Re: Seismic Drift Loading

It sounds like your frame will be dragged along with the main tower.  With that said, the 0.7E is appropriate so long as you are using the ASD load combinations.  You are complying with the "deformation compatibility" provisions.  The forces are only less on elements that can tolerate the movement through a slip joint or have gone plastic themselves.

A brief example:  assume a braced frame structure.  Gravity columns tolerate the drift because they are assumed pinned top and bottom.  Good details will also allow for interior partitions to slip at the top because the walls are fixed at the base.  Meanwhile the force in the braces is limited because they (hopefully) go plastic and stretch/buckle inelastically.  All these elements still move the same distance but have vastly different loading.

Did that help?

Jake Watson, S.E.
Salt Lake City, UT

P.S. Have you considered that the drift is wind related and not seismic?