Need a book? Engineering books recommendations...

Return to index: [Subject] [Thread] [Date] [Author]

RE: Out of Line Building Official?

[Subject Prev][Subject Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next]

That’s plain stoopid.


Do you need someone to go up there and kick his butt?

I’m in the right frame of mind right now. It would be a good release of tension.




T. William (Bill) Allen, S.E.


Consulting Structural Engineers
V (949) 248-8588 F(949) 209-2509

-----Original Message-----
From: Gerard Madden, SE [mailto:gmse4603(--nospam--at)]
Sent: Tuesday, January 08, 2008 1:54 PM
Subject: Out of Line Building Official?


I designed a building early last year. Submitted for permit in March 2007. l approved for permit with no plan check comments.

Owner priced it out, decided to scale back the project. Project was resubmitted in August 2007.

Plan checker, by telephone call, stated to the architect that all of the callouts on the structural foundation plan were incorrect. Architect informed me, I checked it, told him, no they are all correct.

Building official loses the structural sets and doesn't remember the comment, so we resubmit the exact same set in October 2007.
, wet stamped and signed (like all the previous submittals)

Client calls me today and says the building official has approved everythng in the plans (i.e. there was no mistake in the call outs of the foundation plan) but now since my stamp on the drawings expired 12/31/2007, he wants a new wet stamped and signed document by tomorrow or he will reject the project and make us start all over ( i.e., CBC 2007)

This seems completely out of line. The drawings, each time, were submitted with wet stamp and signature with the stamp that was valid. My renewal has occured, but I have not received my new stamp.

My understanding is that as long as the stamp was valid at the time of submittal, and no changes were made, there is no issue. Obviously, If I change something, I need to resubmit with my latest stamp.... but this seems like a guy overstepping his authority?