RE: More "plan check" stuff ...

You guys cite a bunch of stuff that is pretty commonly included in
architectural sets.

My test is whether or not a contractor could go down to Home Depot and find
something that does not comply with the code and thereby expose me to
liability.  For instance, an access door into a fire rated partition can be
installed with a piece of masonite and two hinges.  Such cases as this must
be specifically noted on the plans. Likewise, flame spread, exit light
levels, etc, all are specific needs of the building and must be noted.

Now, rarely will a one hour rated access door NOT pass whichever ASTM test
is noted in the code, so, in the interest of brevity, I don't usually
include such info unless I think the contractor could pull an end run
somehow. I figure that my intent will be clear enough to that "jury of my
peers".

Anyway, over the years I've managed to put most of the relevant portions of
the entire code into a sort of MSExcel grab bag that I will edit at the
conclusion of the schematic design phase and then transfer to the drawings
as design development progresses.  Depending on the design, it could amount
to 2 or 3 full sheets of notes depending on the project.  I do the same
thing for ADA stuff, and that alone could take up another two pages. Add in
energy analysis sheets, zoning and planning COAs, Health departments, Fire
Departments, etc. and my Zero Series sheets can get pretty fat.
--DB