Re: UFC 3-340-01 "Design and Analysis of Hardened Structures to Conventional Weapons Effects"

Are you looking at bolted connections of steel?  The 9th edition ASD steel manual allowed a 200% load duration factor for impact loads.  Don't know off-hand if ACI has a similar "strength" factor...  good luck.

On Jan 9, 2008 1:57 PM, Thomas Davidson <TDavidson(--nospam--at)atlasengineering.com> wrote:

I am new to this blast analysis and was kind of thrown a project.  But, I was wondering, since this thread came up; if I could get some advice on how to analyze bolted connections.  I went a conservative route; I got the peak overburden pressure and applied it as a wind pressure on the structure itself and the "structure" works, the connections however fail miserably.  Because the load is only going to be applied for a few milliseconds is there a justified Dynamic Increase Factor (DIF) for bolts?  Or is there some way I can justify that the bolts will not fail?

Thanks

Thomas Davidson

From: Padmanabhan Rajendran [mailto:rakamaka(--nospam--at)yahoo.com]
Sent: Wednesday, January 09, 2008 12:12 PM
To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
Subject: Re: UFC 3-340-01 "Design and Analysis of Hardened Structures to Conventional Weapons Effects"

In 2006, I attended a seminar on the design of structures to resist blast loads. The instructor told the participants that a few of the UFC/UASCE manuals which were available for download until 2002 or 2003 were removed from the list of manuals that could be downloaded  with "no questions asked". However, he said, that anyone interested in a  restricted manual could seek permission from UFC/UASCE for  the download. I believe the identity of the individual requesting the download requires to be documented, considering the nature of information  contained in the manuals.

The following link has a place for you to register. Once you register, you may be able to access the document.
https://pdc.usace.army.mil/forums/ufc/3-340-01

Rajendran