Re: Lighter Loads in IBC vs. UBC and Enercalc 6.0

In a message dated 1/9/2008 4:22:31 PM Pacific Standard Time, Pinyonengineering(--nospam--at)hughes.net writes:
Hi,

with that transition to the 2007 California Buildng Code - I just got Enercalc 6.0 and looked at the wind module and it references the 2003 IBC  and some provisions that are not in the 2006 (or ASCE 7-05) seems like the design wind pressure part of the module won't calculate
Has anyone used this program yet for use with the 2006 IBC code?

I am also confused in the seismic module in that I have a redundancy factor of 1.3 and it seems like I need to actually math any use a pencil :-) to put this factor in the calculations.  I know this a new version and a new code but I seem lost. I am also doing this all by hand to verify what is supposed to happen. Is there anyone to set me straight??

Tim Rudolph
Pinyon Engineering
Bishop CA
Tim

There should be a yes or no question in regard to the following if the program does not calculate this.
Looking at each building direction north=south and east-west If you remove any lateral resisting element (shear wall, frame..) does the removal result in a story strength reduction of more than 33% of the over all story strength.

If the answer is no you can use a rho of 1.0. You have to evaluate both directions.

Now if you have multistory building you check this at all levels that have greater than 35% of the base shear load at that level. If no level has greater than 35% base shear then you can use a rho of 1.0.

Also this check is for SDC of D thru F ...SDC of C and below rho = 0.

Joe Venuti
Johnson & Nielsen Associates
Palm Springs, CA