Sent: Thursday, January 10, 2008 8:09 AM
Subject: RE: UFC 3-340-01 "Design and Analysis of Hardened Structures to Conventional Weapons Effects"

On Jan 9, 2008 1:57 PM, Thomas Davidson <TDavidson(--nospam--at)atlasengineering.com>
wrote:
> I am new to this blast analysis and was kind of thrown a project.  But, I
> was wondering, since this thread came up; if I could get some advice on how
> to analyze bolted connections.  I went a conservative route; I got the peak
> overburden pressure and applied it as a wind pressure on the structure
> itself and the "structure" works, the connections however fail miserably.
> Because the load is only going to be applied for a few milliseconds is there
> a justified Dynamic Increase Factor (DIF) for bolts?  Or is there some way I
> can justify that the bolts will not fail?
>
> Thanks
>
> *Thomas Davidson*

Thomas, based on what you've described/asked, I strongly recommend that you 'kind of throw the project back' in the direction from whence it came, & start reading up on blast design (i.e., if think you'd like to actually work on a future one of these thrown your way).

Off the top of my head, Structural Design for Physical Security, State of the Practice, ASCE, 1999, would be a good, readily-available place to start.  And the documents referenced therein are all of the 'important' ones.

For recent developments search archives of the following magazines:  Modern Steel Construction, Structure, Civil Engineering, The Military Engineer, & Structural Engineer.  They've published many good articles on blast design & related topics, some specific to structural steel, since 2003.

Finally, be on the look-out for the soon-to-be published, Blast Protection of Buildings, by ASCE; this will be the 1st national standard on this issue.

Glen

Glen Pappas, Ph.D., PE, SECB, BSCP
Los Alamos National Laboratory
ES-DE