RE: Lighter Loads in IBC vs. UBC

Chris,

The few wind and seimic designs I have done under the 06 IBC basically confirms your belief in that the lateral loading is similar or slightly less than the '97 UBC for wood framed buildings- This applies to the Ventura County, California area.

Larry Hauer S.E.

> Date: Wed, 9 Jan 2008 12:29:16 -0800
> From: chris(--nospam--at)jdwylieengineering.com
> To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
> Subject: Lighter Loads in IBC vs. UBC
>
> So I think I need a sanity check. Last time I asked a question here I
> got blasted at first and then wound up getting some very useful
> information. So I suppose I'll give it another shot!
>
> We're working on making the transition from 1997 UBC to 2006 IBC.
> While the wind loads are more complicated, I'm finding that as long as
> topography isn't a factor, even the highest load (that of the end
> conditions) is the same or lower than what we were using in the UBC.
> So we can simplify and use the "A" load across the whole projected
> area, and still generate Wind loads that are lower than what we were
> designing for before.
>
> Similarly, when I go through the USGS software and get values for S1
> and Ss, then put that through the equations in ASCE7-05, I come up
> with a Base Shear equation that is a fair bit lower. Where a one
> story home in the Bay Area would have previously had a V of say 0.14W,
> the new code puts it at 0.108W.
>
> I can send more details of how I'm coming up with these figures, but I
> just wanted to start by finding out if other folks are seeing the same
> thing.
>
> Thanks in advance.
>
> Chris Slater, PE

> *
> *
> * http://www.seaint.org/sealist1.asp
> *
> * site at: http://www.seaint.org

Make distant family not so distant with Windows Vista® + Windows Live™. Start now!