From: Jim Wilson [mailto:wilsonengineers(--nospam--at)yahoo.com]
Sent: Tuesday, January 08, 2008 9:04 AM
To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
Subject: Slabs on grade at garage and people doors

I'm looking for some opinion about slabs on ground at door openings - Which detail has more pros or cons?  Are there other details that perform better than these?

The typical slab detail in this case is to have an expansion joint at the perimeter to allow it to float inside the foundation wall.
1. Drop foundation wall at door 8"-12", extend slab over and pin to wall with reinforcement bent out of the wall and into the slab.
2. Drop foundation wall at door 8"-12", extend slab over with a horizontal slip joint between the wall and slab to allow the slab to shrink unrestrained.  Additional reinforcement to be provided in this section of slab to mitigate cracks.

This is in non-seismic areas, northeast U.S., light to heavy commercial use.

TIA,
Jim Wilson

Share life as it happens with the new Windows Live. Start sharing!