But what I'm really referring to is my typical client who is just adding a little room on the back of his house, or adding a partial second story.  And what about if he's just adding a single new foundation for a new shear wall to make his house more earthquake resistant -- does he still need a $3,000 soil report?  And if he does and it recommends a pier foundation, although the house has been sitting there on 3" deep shallow footings for 80 years without significant harm, what's the rationale in gold-plating the new foundation?

Sorry,

Ralph

In a message dated 1/15/08 9:03:52 AM, sgordin(--nospam--at)sgeconsulting.com writes:
Dave and Ralph,

It is not quite an "across the board" requirement.  Overall, only a very limited number of houses will be affected, with the Bay and LA areas hit hardest.

These areas are known for their no-so-good soils , and, in all honesty, require soil investigation anyway.

As far as I know, a decent residential soil report in OC can be done for about $3K, and represents a negligible fraction of a median property cost of about $655K.

V. Steve Gordin, SE
Irvine CA

----- Original Message -----
From: Rhkratzse(--nospam--at)aol.com
To: davea(--nospam--at)laneengineers.com ; seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
Sent: Tuesday, January 15, 2008 08:43
Subject: Re: what's wrong?

In a message dated 1/15/08 8:41:34 AM, davea(--nospam--at)laneengineers.com writes:

The foundation is of the utmost importance, certainly, but to require a soils report across the board ... especially for light-frame/single-story/non-expansive-soil-supported structures ... seems sort of harsh.

Anything to drive up the cost of housing, eh?

Ralph

Start the year off right. Easy ways to stay in shape.