Sent: Tuesday, January 15, 2008 09:21
Subject: Re: what's wrong?

Steve,

I certainly agree with your comment regarding a "typical" new house in the Bay Area.  In that case the expense of a soil report may not be all that significant (although practically every client I've had has ended up his project "in extremis," making all sorts of pain-filled comments about being broke).

But what I'm really referring to is my typical client who is just adding a little room on the back of his house, or adding a partial second story.  And what about if he's just adding a single new foundation for a new shear wall to make his house more earthquake resistant -- does he still need a $3,000 soil report?  And if he does and it recommends a pier foundation, although the house has been sitting there on 3" deep shallow footings for 80 years without significant harm, what's the rationale in gold-plating the new foundation?

Sorry,

Ralph