Re: redundancy rho

In a message dated 1/15/2008 2:10:47 PM Pacific Standard Time, jeribarne(--nospam--at)bak.rr.com writes:
Sirs:

Please assume a simple rectangular flexible wood diaphragm building.  The west and east walls each have 2 braced frames (or 2 cantilever columns). For seismic loads in the north south direction we are confused on rho.  If one frame is removed on the east wall line for example, which, if any, is correct?

1)  3 of the 4 frames still exist resulting in a 25% decrease in capacity and rho=1.

2)  Because the diapragm is flexible, the frame remaining on the  east side must now take twice the load it would have taken previously, resulting in a 50 decrease in capacity and rho=1.3.

Thanks in advance.

Joseph Eribarne
661-392-1124
jeribarne(--nospam--at)bak.rr.com

Joseph

Item 1. is correct for determination of rho.

We are not asked to evaluate as per item 2., but I see how you may think this. We are only asked tocheck item 1. to determine the value of rho.

Joe Venuti
Johnson & Nielsen Associates
Palm Springs, CA