Re: 3-D modeling

In a message dated 1/16/2008 7:09:00 A.M. Pacific Standard Time, Tom.Hunt(--nospam--at)fluor.com writes:
Conrad,

You completely forgot about Al Core requiring government funding to study ant farts contribution to global warming.

Thomas Hunt

"Conrad Harrison" <sch.tectonic(--nospam--at)bigpond.com>
01/15/2008 08:08 PM
Please respond to seaint
<seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org>
cc
Subject
RE: 3-D modeling

What put it in the code! Now that's a bad idea!

First have to provide an exact specification for the type of honey to be
used and the species of ant. Then provide funding for a phD so that can
determine the best combination of honey and ants to generate the maximum
pain.

Then conduct an economic study, to see if the required specification of
honey and ants are readily available to all. Reduce the performance criteria
to allow more commercially available honey and ants to be used.

Then it will need reviewing against occupational health and safety
requirements to ensure that pain can be inflicted without causing undue harm
or violating human rights.

Then people will want to be innovative and adopt alternative solutions, so a
performance based criterion will be required. A complex but cheap
mathematical model will be developed, to avoid expensive testing; this will
permit assessing the performance of alternative solutions: say eucalyptus
leaves and a rogue koala.

Then we need an extra level of regulators to enforce the codified abuse of
plan reviewers, since they won't enforce it on themselves.

Once adopted in the code. People will continue doing what they have always
done, declaring they've been doing it this way for 30 years without
problems. Or the whole idea will be considered too complex, and people will
abandon the concept altogether. Once it falls into disuse the code writers
will delete it from the code as obsolete. Some five or so years later, it
will be perceived as an innovative new idea, and there will be moves to put
it back in the code, with an improved system of enforcement promised.

So if you put it in the code it will just become too cumbersome to be
practical. Or it will be taken to with enthusiasm and plan reviewers will
become a rare and endangered species and the whole regulatory ecosystem will
collapse. :-)

Regards
Conrad Harrison
B.Tech (mfg & mech), MIIE, gradTIEAust