RE: what's wrong - Soil Investigation Requirements

Title: Message
Man, nice catch.  The picture gets rosier all the time.  "No exceptions -- just do it, love it, and stop whining."

-----Original Message-----
From: Acharya, Suresh [mailto:Suresh.Acharya(--nospam--at)ci.concord.ca.us]
Sent: Wednesday, January 16, 2008 9:22 AM
To: 'seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org'; 'sgordin(--nospam--at)sgeconsulting.com'
Subject: RE: what's wrong - Soil Investigation Requirements

This article by S.K. Ghosh and Susan Dowty, S.E. summarizes the soil investigation requirements. Regarding the exception of 1802.2: "....What may come as even more of a surprise is that the exception for a soils report found in Section 1802.2, which reads as follows, is not applicable to structures assigned to SDCs D through F..."

Further:

"A code user may not initially recognize that the exception does not apply to structures assigned to SDCs D through F. However, upon close reading of the exception, one notices that it only references Sections 1802.2.1 through 1802.2.6, and it is Section 1802.2.7 that requires a soils report for any structure assigned to SDC D, E, or F. This mandatory requirement of the IBC for a soils report for any structure assigned to SDC D, E, or F will result in a major change in California practice where the UBC has not automatically required a soils report based on seismic zone."

Suresh Acharya, S.E.