Re: strange bldg dept request

The code requirement for an outswinging door on a pool enclosure has to do with toddler dexterity, not getting knocked by the door.  The theory behind it is the notion that a 2 year old can push open an unlatched door, but would have trouble pulling open a door.

=====================
From: "Andrew Kester, P.E." <akester(--nospam--at)cfl.rr.com>
Date: 2008/01/17 Thu AM 08:31:49 CST
To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
Subject: strange bldg dept request

 Finally, how about this bldg dept wackiness.... My sister just put in a pool, and you have to have a child safety fence around the pool and then another fence around the yard with gates. They failed her inspection because the fence gate swung INWARD, which they said is prohibited because it could knock someone in the pool. The gate is no less than 35ft away from the pool. That would take one hell of a hard door opening... The latch to open the gate now has to be on the outside of the fence where any kid could figure out how to open it, but that is allowed....  These things make me want to act out violently, or at least get in somebody's face with some nice words. Please email me directly on this subject! Andrew Kester, P.E.
Principal/Project Manager
ADK Structural Engineering, PLLC
1510 E. Colonial Ave., Suite 301
Orlando, FL 32803