From: Stuart, Matthew [mailto:mStuart(--nospam--at)cmxengineering.com]
Sent: Thursday, January 17, 2008 6:41 AM
To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
Subject: RE: strange bldg dept request

I deal with these kinds of inane requests from building officials up here in
the northeast all of the time.

I have found that the best way to resolve things and arrive at a happy
solution for everyone is to first get permission from your client to talk
directly to the building official, then call him/her up on the phone and in
the nicest way possible walk them through your concerns and try to arrive at
a reasonable compromise. I've also found that cursing them profoundly after I
hang up the phone helps to release the stress of dealing with these type of
public officials.

Senior Project Manager

Structural Department

Associate