Re: Anchors

Rhkratzse(--nospam--at)aol.com wrote:
Pray tell, how did you resolve these issues?

Ralph

In a message dated 1/17/08 12:31:28 PM, dmorris(--nospam--at)bbfm.com writes:
Steve Gordin wrote:
> Sounds about right, especially given the latest actions by the Governator.
> But is Alaska - which I am in love with - any better?
> > V. Steve Gordin, SE
> Irvine CA
> Design wise the same. We switched from the 1997 UBC to the 2000 IBC,
and then 2003 IBC and now the 2006 IBC.  Every comment made on this list
concerning anchorage to concrete was made up here some years ago. Likewise for wind loading using ASCE 7. One joke was to have the
contractor get out a hacksaw and cut a notch into the anchor bolts to
insure ductile failures....

One engineer in the office spent a few days updating his spreadsheet to work for the IBC. With the latest set of approved adhesive and expansion bolts, additional equations and caveats need to be considered. To use these new products, I am using the updated software from Hilti and Simpson. It's too bad that the PCA's Notes on ACI 318-05 does not include more examples for anchorage to concrete. One cynical response is that they haven't figured it all out themselves....