From: Mike Hokama
Sent: Friday, January 18, 2008 11:22 AM
Subject: Splicing of steel beam.

I am working on a project where they are trying to install a new steel wide flange beam approximately 55' long inside of an existing restaurant and the contractor is asking about whether it is possible to bring the beam inside the building in sections and then welding it together. Is there any problem with doing that provided the welds are full penetration?

Thanks in advance for any insight,

Mike H

--
V. Steve Gordin, Ph.D.