RE: Splicing of steel beam.

I do not allow onsite welding in an existing wood-framed building due to the possibility of a fire.  I’ve heard stories from others of fires that started by a smoldering spark even after an all-night as fire-watch.

Nels Roselund, SE

From: Mike Hokama [mailto:m_hokama(--nospam--at)sbcglobal.net]
Sent: Friday, January 18, 2008 10:22 AM
To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
Subject: Splicing of steel beam.

I am working on a project where they are trying to install a new steel wide flange beam approximately 55' long inside of an existing restaurant and the contractor is asking about whether it is possible to bring the beam inside the building in sections and then welding it together. Is there any problem with doing that provided the welds are full penetration?

Thanks in advance for any insight,

Mike H