RE: Splicing of steel beam.

Nels -

Are you assuming that the ensuing fire will be your responsibility? From your response, it sounds like you don't even give the contractor (or owner) the opportunity to weigh the risks vs. rewards themselves.

What if all parties agreed to a hold harmless agreement regarding fires subsequent to field welding?

--
T. William (Bill) Allen, S.E.
ALLEN DESIGNS