Re: Splicing of steel beam

That discussion came to the same conclusions:
1) full strength butt weld without knowing if full strength weld is
efficient, and
2a) test the welds per the weld standard despite the fact that the weld
standard does not specify which welds are to be tested or by what method
 or
2b) test with the most exhaustive protocol available.

Is this in the best interests of
a) the client
 and
b) the public?

If, after a 30 second calculation, I determine that a full pen weld is 5x
the required strength, but I decide that it is in everybody's best interests
for the qualified welder to make the effort, does it REALLY need anything
more than visual or DP inspection?

If I decide that it requires the exhaustive inspection protocol, should it
not be sufficient to also specify the most efficient weld, thus saving weld
effort and material handling (e.g. flipping the beam)?

Regards
Paul

--
Paul Ransom, P.Eng.