From: Chuck Utzman [mailto:chuckuc(--nospam--at)pacbell.net]
Sent: Wednesday, January 23, 2008 1:19 PM
To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
Subject: Re: Styrofoam seal at plywood shear wall sill plate & bad EN

Bill Allen wrote:

> ROFLMAO!
>
> T. William (Bill) Allen, S.E.
>
> ALLEN DESIGNS <http://www.AllenDesigns.com>
>
> Consulting Structural Engineers
> V (949) 248-8588 * F(949) 209-2509

It isn't funny. Shear won't be a problem but if you put this stuff under
a shearwall post it will crush under cycled loading. Premature failure
of the nails at the bottom corner of the shearwall & excess deflection
are almost certain. Make them remove it at the SW corners & & slide in a
non-compressible shim.
Chuck Utzman, P.E.
p.s. On a somewhat related note--how do you guys deal with SW edge
nailing over 350 plf when they fail to stagger the nails? I've been
treating it like over-driven (add one for every two bad ones).