Need a book? Engineering books recommendations...

Return to index: [Subject] [Thread] [Date] [Author]

RE: drilling, driving near existing residence

[Subject Prev][Subject Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next]
There really needs to be photographic documentation of the existing condition.  That documentation needs to be collected by an architect of engineer. 

Mining engineers have documents that will list acceptable ground shock for residential construction.  I know that the Bureau of Mines has some information. 
You can place monitors to measure ground motion at the residence.  You may be able to have the contractor pony up for this. 

Harold Sprague

Subject: drilling, driving near existing residence
Date: Thu, 24 Jan 2008 09:32:15 -0500
From: cbanbury(--nospam--at)
To: seaint(--nospam--at)

A homeowner is concerned that a well being drilled by the neighbor will cause cracks in their house and pool.

Where can I find guidance on how the homeowner might proceed in order to document the existing condition of the house and in order to reduce the possibility of cracking?

Thanks in advance.


Christopher Banbury, PE



Ark Engineering, Inc.

PO Box 10129, Brooksville, FL 34603

22 North Broad ST, Brooksville, FL 34601

Phone: (352) 754-2424

Fax: (352) 754-2412




Connect and share in new ways with Windows Live. Get it now!