Re: Retaining Wall Problem

Title: Re: Retaining Wall Problem
Irv,

15 feet is not out of the realm of a cantilever shoring system, and would not require
the neighbors approval

Tarek Mokhtar, SE
Laguna Beach, CA

Irv,

I was involved in litigation (as an expert) in a similar situation at the same venue. It was a mess, even though the wall was like 80 years old, and both neighbors bought their properties "as is", recently, with no new construction, and, amazingly, no new damage.

I would try what Harold recommends, but there is a good chance it's not going to happen.  If it is going to happen, I would make sure that any agreement considers long-term conditions and is reviewed by a lawyer.

I would:
-keep any construction away from the neighbor's property, relying only on my "own" soil to support any retaining wall;
-as part of design, I would demonstrate that the design and construction of the wall does not affect the neighbor's property in any way;
-make sure that the design and construction assure excellent drainage of the retained soil.

I am pretty sure it can be done.  Good luck.

V. Steve Gordin, SE
Irvine CA