Re: ASCE 7-08

In a message dated 1/24/2008 11:25:30 AM Pacific Standard Time, sgordin(--nospam--at)sgeconsulting.com writes:
Oh, come on, Joe, it is not THAT bad.

But I wholeheartedly agree with Ralph's and Jordan's comments.  May be, because I am getting old and cynical.

On a more constructive note. I would suggest an industry referendum with one question: "Should we prohibit any changes in the structural portions of the code unless they deal with some newly discovered (physically discovered) problems, and/or prevent the loss of life, and/or result in more than 7.5% savings in the actual construction cost (at least for this particular component)"?

By the vote of engineers and builders, it will pass.  And then I would make it into some kind of a supreme industry law (constitution) that will govern all code changes henceforth.  And the scientists will have to work much harder for their research to make it into the code.

V. Steve Gordin, SE
Irvine CA

All is fair in love and war ...why not building ?

I do like your idea. I might add that corrections for clarity of understanding or concept are allowed.

Joe Venuti
Johnson & Nielsen Associates
Palm Springs, CA