RE: RAM Structural System

Jason

I don't use RAM but I imagine it is similar to other 3D packages. Usually
have three choices either:

1) Flip/Rotate the section
2) Apply load in appropriate direction
3) input custom section and swap XX and YY axes

Some packages have a simple XX/YY radio button swap when selecting the
section. Others have spreadsheet input tables and permit changing section
rotation to any angle. Still others have a complicated method using a
reference node. See if there is a right click properties for the beam
element, where you can modify section properties and rotation.

Applying the load from the appropriate direction is probably the easiest
approach.

Also the help manual should provide a diagram explaining the section axes
and global and local axes. (Important to check, since many packages give the
usual results for Z-axis not the X-axis. Also need to check if moment
diagrams plotted on tension flange or otherwise, since it can be customised
by the last user it might not be as expected.)

Check orientation using 3D render and an isometric view, or simplified
orientation symbols the package may use (eg. simple arrow positive y-axis).

Regards
Conrad Harrison
B.Tech (mfg & mech), MIIE, gradTIEAust
Adelaide