    From: akester(--nospam--at)cfl.rr.com
    To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
    Subject: steel studs on columns?
    Date: Wed, 23 Jan 2008 12:27:45 -0500

    While flying up to watch my poor Packers lose this last weekend, I
    saw some new steel framing at the Orlando Airport that made me
    curious. It looks to be a two story steel frame, perhaps moment
    frame on the second story to roof level. On the first story level,
    the wide flange columns had steel studs welded to them at maybe
    12" o.c. to at least two sides of column. This appeared to be at a
    corner column. My only guess is they are going to tie into the
    column with a concrete tie column or wall and use a CMU or
    concrete wall for lateral bracing on the first floor. But I would
    think if this were the case the top few studs would see all of the
    force, that the column would not be stiff enough to transfer all
    of the force into the wall element very evenly.
And per all of that talk on field welding... Talking with my
    uncle, a retired steam fitter, they weld huge steel pipes together
    with butt splice complete joint penetration bevel welds, in the
    middle of a Wisconsin winter, all of the time... These pipes carry
    water and steam and may not have the stress in them that a wide
    flange butt welded will have, but I think as structural engineers
    we don't have to be so scared of field welding if it is really
    necessary! (Though may avoid it when it is not necessary due to
    costs.)
Andrew Andrew Kester, PE
    Principal/Project Manager
    ADK Structural Engineering, PLLC