Sent: Friday, January 25, 2008 2:02 PM
Subject: CMU Infills

Dear Fellow Engineers,

     My RC design teacher has taught us has to ignore the effect of CMU infills on a RC frame because they will be crushed during a seismic event. Recent seminars I attended shows that cmu infills interferes with  frame action thus attracting more shear. Is there any code provision regarding on how to treat cmu infills in relation with RC frames or steel frames?

       Your assistance will much appreciated. Thanks.

     Sincerely,

     Alex C. Nacionales.