It's in there (i.e., you need to model the building...if the infill walls are in contact with moment frames, your model better reflect that), but it just takes digging rather than blatantly saying in Code Commandment #11.13.4.2a  "Thou shall not use CMU infill walls in combination with Concrete Moment Frames.

I guess the point is, rather than try to capture every possible system name, the code attempts to say "you can't do this unless..." in more general terms

-gm

On Jan 28, 2008 2:15 PM, Alex C. Nacionales <anacionales(--nospam--at)insightts.net> wrote:
Designing the frames for forces that will be created due engaging the infill CMU "infill" walls will be expensive. Creating a space between CMU infill  walls seems awkward. I wonder why a dangerous issue such as this was not taken care of by any structural code.

Alex C. Nacionales

----- Original Message -----
Sent: Saturday, January 26, 2008 6:38 AM
Subject: RE: CMU Infills

I don't recall if there are actual code provisions, but there are certainly FEMA documents that discussion the issue of masonry infill walls in frames and how to retrofit or even design for them.  If I recall correctly, the main thing to try to do is leave enough isolation room between the frame and the infill walls to allow the frame to deflect as "desired" without "engaging" the infill wall...OR design the frame for the types of forces that will be created due to "engaging" the infill walls.

Regards,

Scott
Adrian, MI