Re: CMU Infills

Good Info Daniel. thanks!

So MSJC is very specific on this particular issue, where as the IBC makes it basically a partition wall to be excluded from the LFRS (3 sides isolated....i.e. only the base is connected to something)

-gm

On Jan 28, 2008 3:58 PM, Daniel Popp <drp181(--nospam--at)yahoo.com> wrote:
The code does address the issue of CMU infill walls in several specific ways:

IBC 2006 Section 2106.1 (Masonry - Seismic Design)  ..."All masonry walls, unless isolated on three edges from in-plane motion of the basic structural systems, shall be considered to be part of the seismic-force-resisting system"...

MSJC 2002 Section 1.10.2 (Connection to structural frames)  "Masonry walls shall not be connected to structural frames unless the connections and walls are designed to resist design interconnecting forces and to accommodate calculated deflections."

MSJC 2002 Section 1.13.5.2.2 (Design of elements that are not part of the lateral force-resisting system)  "Masonry partition walls, masonry screen walls and other masonry elements that are not designed to resist vertical or lateral loads, other than those induced by their own mass, shall be isolated from the structure so that vertical and lateral forces are not imparted to these elements.  Isolation joints and connectors between these elements and the structure shall be designed to accommodate the design story drift."

Ralph has a very good point:  Beware partial-height CMU infill.  I had a professor in graduate school who referred to partial-height infill walls as "baby killers".  It seems that in some countries, this was (or is) a common type of construction for schools, with windows above the masonry.  When an earthquake hits, the inelastic deformation of the column is limited to the portion above the infill, which can lead to collapse.  We were shown a picture of a two-story school building that had formerly been three stories.  If school had been in session...

Regards,
Daniel

----- Original Message ----
From: "Gerard Madden, SE" <gmse4603(--nospam--at)gmail.com>
To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
Sent: Monday, January 28, 2008 12:56:11 PM
Subject: Re: CMU Infills

I think it's sort of taken care of by not having it listed as a recognized LFRS in the structural system tables in the code.

Then there are code provisions about interactions of different systems within a same direction of a building, on different and same lines of resistance, and by story.

It's in there (i.e., you need to model the building...if the infill walls are in contact with moment frames, your model better reflect that), but it just takes digging rather than blatantly saying in Code Commandment #11.13.4.2a  "Thou shall not use CMU infill walls in combination with Concrete Moment Frames.

I guess the point is, rather than try to capture every possible system name, the code attempts to say "you can't do this unless..." in more general terms

-gm