Anyone Work (Now or Ever) For A Design-Build Firm? How'd You Handle Specs?

I wonder about this, as the conventional "specification" is for third-party bid, not second-party self-performance. If you're the engineer who ostensibly works for the constructor, how do you approach specifications?

The "mandatory wording" is typical for a contractual relationship, but there is no "contract" between the engineer and the builder who work for the same boss.