RE: Gross overturning

Common practice?  We have ten structural engineers in our office and we don't adhere to this.  Please feel free to forward this e-mail to your plan checker.

Bob Garner, S.E.

From: Matthew [mailto:sandman21(--nospam--at)gmail.com]
Sent: Thursday, January 31, 2008 10:30 AM
To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
Subject: Re: Gross overturning

It is not the policy; the plan checker is insisting that it is common practice to use a 1.5 F.O.S.  Every design professional, including himself, he was talked to uses 1.5 when using loads at ASD level.  The shear walls range from 1.15-1.2, it would be extremely costly to get a 1.5 F.O.S.  Can anyone offer advice on convincing him that he is wrong? :)