Re: Gross overturning

A point you could make with the plan checker is that the dead load resisting factor for overturnig has gone from .85 to .44 which has increased the load and holdown size.

n a message dated 1/31/2008 11:07:38 AM Pacific Standard Time, sandman21(--nospam--at)gmail.com writes:

We asked for code sections which stated the F.O.S. and 1630.8 was the code section he gave.  Does it matter that we are using ASD level loads?  I see nothing stating that an increase in F.O.S. is required because ASD loads were used but I just want to make sure.  Thank you.

On Jan 31, 2008 10:53 AM, Steve Gordin <sgordin(--nospam--at)sgeconsulting.com> wrote:
If not amended by the city, UBC/CBC Section 1630.8 governs.  It essentially says that the issue of seismic overturning is taken care of by checking against load combinations 12-6, 12-10 and 12-16.1.

V. Steve Gordin, SE
Irvine CA
----- Original Message -----
From: Matthew
Sent: Thursday, January 31, 2008 10:30
Subject: Re: Gross overturning

It is not the policy; the plan checker is insisting that it is common practice to use a 1.5 F.O.S.  Every design professional, including himself, he was talked to uses 1.5 when using loads at ASD level.  The shear walls range from 1.15-1.2, it would be extremely costly to get a 1.5 F.O.S.  Can anyone offer advice on convincing him that he is wrong? :)