Re: Crane rail weld/assembly papers

Jordan,

If are looking for requirements of the rail then you should first look at CMAA #70.  For other reference material (and they are free) would be CISC, Crane-Supporting Steel Structures, and UFC 3-320-07N, Weight Handling Equipment.  AISCs closet design guide might be Steel Design Guide Series 7, Industrial Buildings.  If you search AISC Journal you will also find lots of good articles.

Thomas Hunt, S.E.
Fluor

"Jordan Truesdell, PE" <seaint2(--nospam--at)truesdellengineering.com>
01/31/2008 12:14 PM
Please respond to seaint
seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
cc
Subject
Crane rail weld/assembly papers

I thought that there was an AISC design guide on crane rails, but just
looked and it wasn't in my binder.  I seem to remember something from
AISC on crane rails, but can't remember where I saw it. Can someone help
jog my memory?

Any other papers on weld failures for crane rails would be helpful, if
you know of them.  The instance I'm looking at is a crack at the
channel-W interface where there was tight spacing for the weld. I
haven't inspected it, so I can't really expand on details. It's been
several years since I've done a crane rail and I'd like to shake off the
rust before I go take a look at it in person.

--
Jordan

*   http://www.seaint.org/sealist1.asp
*   site at: http://www.seaint.org