RE: More wierd Bldg Dept. requests

Don:

Not sure about Calif., but in the Great State of Illinois, this is violation
of the
"Structural Engineering Act" which says that unless the SEOR (paraphrasing
here)
"Performs separate calculations and analysis sufficient to satisfy himself
that the design complies with all applicable codes" he cannot seal drawings
prepared by others.

Why on earth he would do that with shop drawings in the first place and take
on that liability, that's another matter.

His O and E carrier will go into the fetal position when he gets wind of
this.

No, if the shops are to be sealed (a spec requirement or larger projects
commonly), it must be by the steel fab's SE; not by the SEOR.

We get asked to provide sealed dwgs and calcs for precast components by the
City of Chicago, but they require that it be done by the PC's SE.

Actually, one time, when we were in a crunch, I actually (don't know why)
offered to seal the drawings of the precaster (VERY small project, after
doing the necessary checks, of course), but the City REFUSED to let us do
this.

Cheers,

David L. Fisher SE PE
Senior Director