Re: More wierd Bldg Dept. requests

Wow.  was there a lot of field issues that could have ruffles the feathers of said inspector?  I would go to the BO first.  Good luck.

On Feb 1, 2008 8:22 AM, <bruckmandesign(--nospam--at)verizon.net> wrote:
I'm finishing up a big box construction up in NoCal, and as we go through final inspections, the inspector asks for a closeout set of all the wet stamped RFI clarification details that had been sent by the SE to the job.  Okay...I get that.  The RFI responses, technically altered the permit docs and should, I guess, be part of the record.

But, here's the stunner, at least to me:  He then says he wants the SE to also wet stamp and seal the structural steel shop drawings!!

I say to him, "...you mean, wet stamp with that catch-all, 'I reviewed 'em, but take no responsibility for anything I saw' stamp?"
"No", he says, "I want a full set of shop drawings wet-stamped SEALED AND SIGNED by your engineer."

Now, first off, I'm not even sure it's legal to do that, since the shop drawings were not prepared by the SE; second, speaking with my architect's hat on, no way I'd do such a thing short of there being severe furnace problems in the underworld.

I'll let you all know what the SE says when I break it to him today, but in the meantime....

Anyone had to do this?

-db

*   http://www.seaint.org/sealist1.asp
*   site at: http://www.seaint.org