Re-roof on 1950's building

I have a customer who wants to retrofit a roof system on a school building built in the 1950’s. The existing construction is concrete joists with metal deck, lightweight concrete and a built up flat roof. The customer wants to install a wood truss roof system with bearing on purlins spaced every few feet on the lightweight concrete deck instead of simply replacing the current flat roofing in order to avoid water problems and so forth.

What is the proper procedure for addressing a building this old? I feel confident that I could design the roof truss system and even the anchorage to the existing framing, but what is the extent of my responsibility? I am unfamiliar with any existing building codes and new to the addition game, so any advice would be appreciated.

Taylor W. Motley, PE

Strand Engineering, LLC

224 Daytona St. 6

Conway, SC 29526