Date: Fri, 1 Feb 2008 12:44:16 -0800
From: enginerd666(--nospam--at)yahoo.com
Subject: Re: ASTM
To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org

Jason,

A 496 material is the correct designation for the material used by the Nelson arc welding machines.

A 706 material would be acceptable for use, in lieu of A 496, if the contractor intended on providing all-around fillet welds to the structural steel (be prepared to give them an appropriate weld thickness schedule, and don't forget the visual inspection).  Fillet welds work up to #6 or somewhere in there before your cross sectional area to circumference ratio makes it impossible to connect with fillet welds.

If you're on a small job, contractors sometimes seem to opt for welding the bars themselves rather than bringing in the specialty equipment for the DBAs.

A 518?  From what I see this is an iron casting designation.

-Ben

Jason Christensen <jason(--nospam--at)wcaeng.com> wrote:
Anyone know what the current ASTM designation for DBA (deformed bar anchor) is?

I have some shops coming in specifing A496, another set specifing A706 weldable rebar, and another set with A518.

Just wonding what I should be specifing for just a general application?

Jason

Benjamin H. Maxwell, S.E.

Benjamin H. Maxwell, S.E.