Need a book? Engineering books recommendations...

Return to index: [Subject] [Thread] [Date] [Author]


[Subject Prev][Subject Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next]
Not that you asked, but to add an experience, be aware that there are also minimum straight lengths of DBAs required to work with the welding guns.  If you're working in confinement zones with hooked candy cane bars be careful to give yourself enough room. You need about 10 to 12 inches of straight length before a hook for the gun to be able to grab and weld the bar to steel.
I had some confinement bars in the boundary zone of a concrete shear wall built around a steel frame and faced a real challenge getting DBAs with enough straight length to fit into the boundary zone the architect spared me (luckily enough). 

Harold Sprague <spraguehope(--nospam--at)> wrote:
In addition to what Ben stated, you can fillet weld either the A496 or A706, but you will not be able to use the stud gun unless you use the A 496. 
The manufactured DBA's have the dimple and come with the appropriate ferrules.  You would have to do a bit of custom machining to use a regular A 706 bar in a stud gun. 

Harold Sprague

Date: Fri, 1 Feb 2008 12:44:16 -0800
From: enginerd666(--nospam--at)
Subject: Re: ASTM
To: seaint(--nospam--at)

A 496 material is the correct designation for the material used by the Nelson arc welding machines.
A 706 material would be acceptable for use, in lieu of A 496, if the contractor intended on providing all-around fillet welds to the structural steel (be prepared to give them an appropriate weld thickness schedule, and don't forget the visual inspection).  Fillet welds work up to #6 or somewhere in there before your cross sectional area to circumference ratio makes it impossible to connect with fillet welds.
If you're on a small job, contractors sometimes seem to opt for welding the bars themselves rather than bringing in the specialty equipment for the DBAs.
A 518?  From what I see this is an iron casting designation.

Jason Christensen <jason(--nospam--at)> wrote:
Anyone know what the current ASTM designation for DBA (deformed bar anchor) is?
I have some shops coming in specifing A496, another set specifing A706 weldable rebar, and another set with A518. 
Just wonding what I should be specifing for just a general application?

Benjamin H. Maxwell, S.E.
Be a better friend, newshound, and know-it-all with Yahoo! Mobile. Try it now.

Connect and share in new ways with Windows Live. Get it now!

Benjamin H. Maxwell, S.E.

Be a better friend, newshound, and know-it-all with Yahoo! Mobile. Try it now.