RE: Steel shop drawings

First this requirement only applys to items that are designed by an engineer other than the structural engineer of record.  Typically these are elements that are listed as being defered approval items.  This does not apply to steel shop drawings where the design is fully documented on the permit documents.

What we have done is put a special shop drawing like stamp on the drawing and the Structural Engineer wet signs this stamp.  The SE stamp never needs to be on these submittals.  The stamp or in some instances a stickyback label states that we have reviewed the submittal with regards to the criteria used and how it interfaces with elements of the buildig that we have designed.  I don't have the exact magic words handy.

After we afix this stamp to the deferred approval submittal it is then sent to the agency for their review.

DSA and OSHPD know better but they keep trying to get the structural engineer to put his SE stamp on the drawings.  There is often a big difference between what they initially say they want and what they will accept.

Mark Gilligan